6 Classic Jack Meatballs
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp tomato paste
1 large tomato, seeds removed and diced
½ tsp white wine vinegar
2 cups kale or swiss chard, stems removed and torn into bite size pieces
½ c water
Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly grated parmesan, for serving
Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Stir in tomato paste and let simmer in the oil for another minute. Tomato paste should turn a bright brick red color.
- Add diced tomatoes and season again with salt and pepper. Let tomatoes cook down, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar and water, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to release any stuck bits. Return to a simmer and let cook for another 5 minutes. For an even brothier dish, add another ¼ c water.
- Gently add the meatballs to the sauce. Simmer for 13-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the torn kale, letting it wilt and soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper and serve with freshly grated parmesan and crusty bread.